Neurosurgeon Brenton Pennicooke, MD, has been appointed director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the Department of Neurosurgery.
“Our department plans to increase the number of residents, faculty, and staff from underrepresented backgrounds,” says Pennicooke. “We also endeavor to improve retention of our underrepresented residents, faculty, and staff by fostering an inclusive and welcoming environment that champions our differences.”
The department has also launched a committee to boost and direct its DEI goals. Among his responsibilities as director of DEI, Pennicooke leads the DEI committee.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee members
- Gregory Zipfel, MD
- Ralph Dacey, Jr., MD
- David Limbrick, MD, PhD
- Gavin Dunn, MD, Phd
- Joshua Osbun, MD
- Jennifer Strahle, MD
- Camilo Molina, MD
- Allegra Petti, PhD
- Resident Anja Srienc, MD, PhD
- Senior Clinical Research Coordinator Diego Morales
- Clinical Research Coordinator Corrine Gardner
- Research Coordinator Sophie Church
- Executive Director Mary Amann
The committee’s mission is to:
- Identify and create solutions to address the deficits and challenges of DEI within the Department of Neurosurgery
- Create action items that encourage all individuals to embrace their identities, find belongingness, and strive to promote health equity, social justice, and advocacy
- Foster a culture of open expression, exchange and discussion of ideas
- Develop programming and initiatives to enable career advancement for our faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds
The committee meets monthly to discuss DEI agenda items within the department.