We are deeply committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive community where everyone is welcomed, respected and supported.
By bringing together individuals from varying backgrounds, experiences and areas of expertise, we benefit from a collective wealth of knowledge and ideas. It is this diversity that allows us to develop richer solutions to complex scientific and clinical challenges and to train culturally sensitive clinicians and scientists. It is also this diversity that enables us to provide the best care to our diverse community of patients.
DEI Committee members
- Gregory Zipfel, MD
- Ralph Dacey, Jr., MD
- David Limbrick, MD, PhD
- Joshua Osbun, MD
- Jennifer Strahle, MD
- Camilo Molina, MD
- Resident Anja Srienc, MD, PhD
- Senior Clinical Research Coordinator, Diego Morales
- Clinical Research Coordinator, Corrine Gardner
- Senior Director of Development and Business Operations, Sophie Church
- Executive Director, Mary Amann
- Marketing/Social Media Coordinator, Courtney Chazen
- Identify and create solutions to address the deficits and challenges of DEI within the Department of Neurosurgery
- Create action items that encourage all individuals to embrace their identities, find belongingness, and strive to promote health equity, social justice, and advocacy
- Foster a culture of open expression, exchange and discussion of ideas
- Develop programming and initiatives to enable career advancement for our faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds
All members of the department are invited to attend our upcoming Diversity, Equity and Inclusion events. Please contact Kayla Zoschg to sign up.
Resources for residents & prospective students
Diversity Sub-internship Program
The department welcomes applications to this new funding opportunity to support experiences of students historically underrepresented in academic neurosurgery.
Supported by the WUSM Department of Medicine, OUTmed is an organization for LGBTQIA-identified faculty, residents, fellows and staff at Washington University School of Medicine.
Academic Women’s Network
Established by WUSM faculty to promote professional interactions and career development and to assist and mentor women in science and medicine.
Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The office focuses on advancing WUSM’s commitment to creating a stronger, more equitable campus where everyone is welcomed, respected and supported.
Women in Surgery
Through a variety of programming, this WUSM group brings together students, residents and faculty to address issues unique to female surgeons and support each other in overcoming these obstacles.
Johnson & Johnson Institute
Residents and students have access to news, conferences and on-demand learning for healthcare professionals, including a variety of inclusive programming.