Anna Huguenard, MD
MD Emory University School of MedicineBS Indiana University, Bloomington
Hometown: Fort Wayne, IN
I am interested in brain neuroplasticity and the ways we can harness technology to augment recovery after neurological injury. Under the guidance of Drs. Jin-Moo Lee, MD, PhD and Eric Leuthardt, MD, I am studying vagal nerve stimulation (VNS) and its ability to alter neuroplasticity and immunomodulation in two key ways:
- I am implanting chronic vagal nerve cervical cuff electrodes in adult mice and investigating our ability to alter cortical functional connectivity with stimulation as evaluated by a calcium-based wide field optical rodent imaging system. I am then using this model and paired stimulation to reopen classically closed neuroplasticity pathways in adult mice.
- I am running a randomized controlled trial implementing non-invasive auricular VNS in patients with spontaneous subarachnoid hemorrhage. I am studying alterations in serum and cerebrospinal fluid inflammatory markers, heart rate and blood pressure variability, as well as clinical outcomes.
Some of my other specific clinical research interests include:
- Intracranial aneurysms in patients with Loeys-Dietz Syndrome and vascular Ehlers-Danlos
- The role of radiosurgery and embolization in treatment of arteriovenous malformations
- Alpha Omega Alpha Carolyn L. Kuckein Student Research Fellowship
Deep brain stimulation as a novel treatment following traumatic brain injury: An immunohistochemical analysis for promotion of neurogenesis and neuroplasticity.
PI: Anna Huguenard, MD
Honors & awards
- Washington University Department of Neurosurgery Annual Research Symposium Presentation Award – Clinical Research, 2021
- The Robert L. Grubb Jr., MD Clinical Excellence Award, 2019
- Association for Academic Surgery/AASF Student Research Award, 2016
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Emory University, 2015
- Phi Beta Kappa, Indiana University, 2010
- Cox Research Scholar Program – full expense scholarship, Indiana University, 2007-2011